Saturday, May 18, 2013

May 18 - Arrival: Touring Center – Dolomites (Italy)

Riding the Alps has been a long thought about dream; something on the Bucket List.  After being fortunate enough to be able to complete the endeavor to ride in all 50 states, I figured riding the Alps was something I would think about actually doing several years down the road. 


The timetable changed quickly when it became necessary for me to take a business trip to the UK and Germany.  As planning for the business trip developed and became close to finalization, I began to think: Germany is very near the Alps!  I knew there were several motorcycle touring companies that do inclusive, guided motorcycle tours in the Alps.  After doing my research, I found a trip through Edelweiss Bike Travel that fit perfectly into my schedule.  I would be done with business on Friday near Munich.  The motorcycle trip (Touring Center – Dolomites) was set up for people to arrive on Saturday followed by 5 days of riding the Dolomites, the Italian part of the Alps.  Perfect.  I called Edelweiss and they said there was still 1 spot left on the tour.  The business part of the trip was finalized and approved.  I called Edelweiss back and they still had the 1 spot so I booked it.  Wow! That all happened really fast.
Travel began on Saturday, May 11, when I flew from Minneapolis to London.  I was at 3 different locations in the UK on Monday – Wednesday.  Thursday morning I flew from London to Munich and then drove about 1 hour north of Munich airport to Ingolstadt where I attended business meetings for 2 days.  I actually arrived in Ingolstadt about 3 ½ hours later than planned because the 8:05 scheduled departure didn’t actually depart until 10:30.  The plane I was supposed to get on had “technical difficulties” and they were unable to get it repaired in time so they had to bring another plane from another airport south of London.  When picking up the rental car in Munich, there a piece a plastic hanging down that someone had taped back up but the tape had let loose.  When shown to the attendant, he said a different car had to be used.  Oh well, the joys of travel.  The attendant, a German of course, pointed out that it was an Italian car (Fiat) and they are definitely not built like the German cars!  I ended up with an Audi – nice car!
Driving to Ingolstadt was my first experience driving the autobahn.  As this was my first experience, I took it easy – maybe 70 – 80 miles per hour.  You have to convert everything because the speedometer is km per hour.  Driving back to Munich on Friday afternoon, feeling a little braver and more confident, I found driving 160 – 180 km/h actually felt very comfortable due to the car and roads.
Saturday was the day to get from Munich, Germany to Bolzano, Italy where the motorcycle part of the trip was based.  My earlier plan was to take the train.  About 3.5 hour – not bad.  As I was looking again and was ready to book the ticket, I saw the return train ride required 4 train changes.  This sounded rather risky.  That many train changes made it more difficult to ensure I was on the right train at the right time and that the trains were on time.  After reviewing the situation with my business colleague, we determined it would be about the same price if we extend the car rental and I drive to Italy.  I said “Sure, I’m up for it!”  After looking at route options, I discovered the fastest route was the autobahn but in Austria (between Germany and Italy) and in part of Italy, there are tolls and stickers required.  We found a more scenic route (yea!).   This turned out to be a great idea.
I left Munich at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday as it was a holiday weekend so many people are heading out of town.  Back on the autobahn for a while until I got near the Alps.  What a gorgeous drive it turned out to be.  As I got into the Alps, the sky was blue, the mountain tops were white, and the hills, valleys and meadow were green, with some yellow dandelions mixed in!  What a sight to behold.  Going through the mountains on the “B roads” which is their secondary roads provided many wonderful vistas
 
 
 
Near the Austria boarder, the journey temporally came to stop.  There was a semi sitting crossways on the road.  Only the motorcycles (and there were many of them) were able to squeeze by.  There was a bike/pedestrian path that several car tried to take to get around the situation but the person that was directing traffic (not sure of his official capacity) was not going to allow this.  Eventually (maybe 30 minutes later), the police arrived and after evaluating the situation determined the bike pedestrian path was the best way to start letting traffic through while the truck was being dealt with.
 
The roads kept getting better and better.  Many would be great motorcycle roads and there were many motorcycle and bicycle riders on them.  I am sure they would be more enjoyable on 2 wheels than on 4 but driving the Audi with the windows down a little was still plenty to get the adrenaline pumping through the hairpin curves as you go up and over the 7,000 foot pass!  At about 6,000 feet the snow was still on the ground in many places but the roads were in great condition!

 
At 12:30PM, I arrived at my hotel (Bemelmans Post) outside of Bolzano.  I check in, got the room key, and check out the room.  Ah – a room with balcony and a view of the snow and cloud covered Alps!  The trip is off to a great start.
 


 
Tonight we have a Meet and Greet with everyone on the tour.  According to the list, there are 13 people.  Based on the name and address matching, I am guessing 10 motorcycles.  During the next 5 days, we will begin and end each day at the hotel where I arrived today.  Each day is a loop that goes out in a different direction.  I understand there is a short loop and a long loop each day.  I will find out more at the meeting tonight how this all works. 
I must again thank my wife Cathy for being so supportive of my joy of motorcycle riding!  Her support of this trip was unwavering from the beginning.  2013 has already been a great year.  Cathy and I spent 2 weeks together in Hawaii.  We both loved it! And I rented a motorcycle for a day to make it the 50th state!  Now this trip to Italy!  I thank God often for the blessings he has given my family and me.
That is all for today.  The Meet and Greet begins in a couple hours and will learn more about what the next 5 days holds in store.  I can hardly wait


No comments:

Post a Comment